I was browsing the pages of the new Cooking Light‘s new cookbook, Real Family Food and was pleased with the selection of recipes included. They were realistic choices, for just who the book is targeted at, “real families”. As someone who tries to cook as much as I can from scratch, I especially thought the simple sauce and condiment recipes at the front of the book were a fantastic addition. This is exactly where a lot of chemicals and “not so savory” ingredients slip into home prepared meals. A meal lovingly prepared then slathered in a sauce loaded with MSG, HFCS and a kitchen sink full of indiscernible ingredients, kind of loses some of it’s wholesomeness, in my eyes anyway.
The rest of the book contains a wide array of family friendly recipes. There are big full page pictures, so kids can flip through and show you things they want to try & give you an idea what the finished product will be like. The recipes themselves are laid out in an easy to read fashion, with the ingredients listed on the side of the recipe in bold.
One easy recipe popped out at me, the Creamy Garbanzo Dip with Sun-dried Tomatoes. I liked that the author, Amanda Haas, created it out of necessity after realizing halfway through making hummus, that she didn’t have any tahini … this ingredient is the one I always seem to be missing. I decided to make the garbanzo bean dip, but ended out making a number of changes along the way… some, because like Amanda, I was missing ingredients (that is the only reason lime is used, rather than lemon, which would be a bit more “Tuscan” after all). Other changes are due to0 my personal taste. The recipe still sort of resembles the original, but the changes seemed to call for a name change, so here is my Tuscan Garbanzo Bean Dip recipe.
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice (or lemon juice)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp curry powder (or tumeric)
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 2 (15 oz.) cans of garbanzo beans, (drain one, leave liquid in the other)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 2 - 3 tbs. chopped fresh basil leaves
- Mince the garlic in food processor.
- Add oil. Pulse a few times.
- Add the garbanzo beans and spices. Pulse until the dip is smooth in texture.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes & basil. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Scoop dip into container for serving.