This Slow Cooker Curry Chicken Thighs recipe makes a tasty Low Carb Chicken Stew.
I keep buying chicken thighs in hopes of cooking them on the grill, then a turn of the weather keeps spurring me to turn my slow cooker to complete the job. This is probably a good thing, since my slow cooker is largely neglected otherwise. I sometimes forget the convenience of slow cooking, and how nicely chicken thighs come out in a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Curry Chicken Thighs
This slow cooker curry chicken thighs recipe was developed to be low in carbohydrates, with an eye toward meeting Whole30 requirements (I went astray a little bit there). Having a pot of this or similar dish on-hand is helpful over the weekend, when I have my daughter to prepare food for throughout the day. During the week, I pack her breakfast and lunch for her to eat at school. The curry this dish is purposely mild. I feel it is more versatile that way. I can always add hot sauce when serving.
Low Carb Chicken Stew
The curry chicken thighs make for a nice low carb chicken stew. The curry spices, tomato and coconut milk simmer to a rich broth and the chicken thighs naturally break up with stirring. This results in a flavorful stew featuring the simple vegetables of onion and celery.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 13-14 oz can light coconut milk
- 14-15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1½ cups of sliced celery
- 1½ tsp organic chicken base
- 2 tbs organic apple cider vinegar
- Place all ingredients through the garlic in slow cooker. Stir and set to high. Simmer for 5-6 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients, simmer for 1-2 hours, then reduce the slow cooker to warm until ready to serve.