Lavender Essential Oil is one of the most versatile oils available. It has a bounty of uses, and is one of the most readily available and reasonably priced of essential oils. Lavender essential oil can assist and cure a number of issues with only a few drops or dabs. Below are a number of ways that it can be used in the home as well as for health purposes.
Editor Note: Use standard allergy precautions with all essential oils. While Lavender is one of the essential oils generally accepted as safe for use with children, I would still encourage use of a carrier oil.
Lavender Essential Oils Uses
- Soothing minor burns – By applying two to three drops of lavender essential oils to a burn, you can help soothe the burning sensation, as well as aid in the healing process.
- Use on cut as you would an antiseptic – Apply one to two drops of lavender onto a cut just as you would an antiseptic such as Neosporin to help heal the cut and stop the bleeding.
- Cold Sores – One drop of lavender on a cold sore can relieve the discomfort of the sore as well as help heal it.
- Use on bee stings and insect bites – Lavender can help the irritating and painful feelings of bee stings as well insect bites. Apply one to two drops as you would a bee sting/insect bite cream. This works exceptionally well for mosquito bites.
- Moisturizing dry or chapped skin – Rubbing lavender oil on dry or chapped skin including dry skin from winter, chapped lips, eczema, and wind burn will relieve the dryness.
- Use in drawers and closets to repel insects – Apply a few drops to a cotton ball and place it in a drawer or closet to repel insects and moths from those areas.
- Minimizing scar tissue by repeated application – Apply lavender oil to injuries to reduce scar tissue throughout the time that the wound heals.
- Use to deodorize and freshen laundry – One to two drops on a damp cloth while the laundry is in the dryer will not only deodorize but will also freshen the clothing without the use of dryer sheets.
- Use on pillows for improved sleep – For those that suffer insomnia or have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, apply a few drops to a pillow or to the hand and spread across the pillow before sleeping. Lavender scent will relax and clear your mind for improved sleeping. This also works for children having troubles sleeping.
- Eliminating Dandruff – Apply a few drops to the scalp and massage in to eliminate dandruff.
- Ear aches – To help with ear aches, place a bottle of lavender oil in warm water for a few minutes, and the massage two to three drops around the ears and throat area. For small children, use this same technique but mix the two to three drops with olive oil before massaging.
- Sinusitis – To relieve the symptoms of sinusitis, apply two to three drops of lavender to a bowl of hot water (near boiling) and inhale the steam deeply over the bowl with a towel over the head covering the bowl.