I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Sunshine Sweet Corn. I received a gift card to purchase a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank you for participating.
I’ve made a fresh Tex-Mex Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad for you today, with Cinco de Mayo quickly coming up it seemed like just the thing. The sweet smokey taste of seasoned grilled corn is the star in this recipe.
During the warmer months, I cook fresh corn pretty regularly. It is a nice change of pace from the starches widely available year round, and the Florida crops are available in markets right now. I grew up eating my corn on the cob boiled, but prefer to grill it myself, either in husk or foil. Grilling in husk adds a smokey element to the corn, which I generally prefer & doesn’t use up my foil. I have also found that I don’t mind eating corn grilled in the husk not smothered in butter. Basting it in seasoned oil before grilling gives it plenty of flavor for me, so that saves quite a few calories.
This Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad makes a great side dish in itself, or a terrific component to your Tex-Mex style meal. You will actually be seeing it appear here very soon as part of another recipe. I find that the smokey sweet flavor of the in-husk grilled corn pairs nicely with tomatoes, and the dressing zips it up a bit.
For even more great fresh corn recipes check out the Sunshine Sweet Corn webpage. While your there, why not enter their Livin’ the Sweet Life Pinterest contest. They are giving away 3 Williams Sonoma deluxe entertaining prize packs (ARV over $200 each), and the entry is an easy share of one of the attractive recipes off their page, NOT a spammy contest entry graphic ( I am personally not a fan of those).
- 3-4 ears of fresh corn in husk
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (sliced in half)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, (de-seeded & diced)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¾ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl and whisk together. (1/4 will be used to baste corn, ½ will dress the salad & ¼ is reserved for marinating an accompanying protein or just to drizzle)
- Preheat grill.
- Peel back the corn husks, discarding all but a couple inner layers. Remove corn silk, then baste with dressing, and recover corn with remaining husk. *
- Grill on med-high for 20-25 minutes, turning 3-4 times during cooking time.*
- Remove the corn from grill and allow to cool a few minutes, then cut off stem end, place the flat cut end on bottom of large bowl, and run a small sharp knife down the length of the cob, slicing off kernels.
- Add the tomato, cilantro, jalapeno and ½ the dressing. Mix well.
- Serve at room temp or chilled.