These grilled curry shrimp are both sweet & fiery. I typically make a sweet curry glaze for my shrimp, when I’m in the mood for something like this, but decided to try out a rub. I was pleased with the results, and the drier shrimp were easier to handle. A glaze could of course be added , but these grilled curry shrimp really didn’t need it.
I used wild American 16/25 shrimp, since I was lucky enough to find a great deal on them. I generally just skip eating shrimp, if I can’t find a good sale on wild ones. Wild American shrimp have much better flavor, and don’t have the health safety concerns of foreign farmed shrimp, which I won’t get into here, since it would be rather unappetizing.
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbs raw sugar*
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp Kosher salt*
- 1 pound raw wild shrimp (headed & peeled, tail on)
- Preheat the grill.
- Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl.
- Toss shrimp in the seasoning mix, then skewer (pre-soak skewers in water if they are wood)
- Grill until edges start to lose translucency, then flip and grill for about a minute, then pull. It is better to err toward slightly underdone, as they will cook more on plate & we don't want them to get tough. Cook time will vary significantly by shrimp size and grill heat.
*if substituting table salt for Kosher reduce by about a third