*articles on this site may contain affiliate links*
Bacon Bourbon Chocolate Snack Mix
Author: Mom Foodie Contributor Recipe
- 4 cups Chocolate Chex Mix cereal
- 4 cups Muddy Buddies (recipe below)
- 7-8 slices cooked bacon - crumbled
- 1 cup peanuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with Pam. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the chocolate Chex Mix cereal, peanuts and bacon. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Heat over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add the bourbon into the brown sugar mixture and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour the bourbon mixture into the large bowl, evenly coating the chocolate cereal, peanuts and bacon. Gently toss to ensure all pieces are covered.
- Carefully pour the mixture out onto the baking sheet and place in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool for at least one hour.
- Add the chocolate chips and 4 cups homemade muddy buddies (recipe below) to mixture and gently toss.
- Pour into serving container. Optional- garnish with additional cooked bacon on top.
Author: Robin Gagnon
The recipe below is from the back of a Chex Mix snack bag a few years back:
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter (1/2 stick) - room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, add the rice Chex cereal and set aside.
- In a medium sized microwave bowl, add the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave for 1 minute and stir.
- Microwave for an additional 30 seconds to ensure the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and stir to incorporate.
- Pour mixture over the cereal and stir or mix with hands to evenly coat. (It gets rather sticky so it helps to spray your hands with Pam spray).
- Transfer the cereal into a large Ziploc bag (one gallon or larger).
- Add the powdered sugar to the cereal mixture. Seal the bag and gently shake until all of the cereal pieces are evenly coated with the powdered sugar.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Carefully, pour out the cereal onto the baking sheet and spread out to cool.
- Once cooled, add to the bacon bourbon mix above.