Sweet Potato & Walnut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smart Balance.
Just because I’m back to eating better for the new year, doesn’t mean I’m not going to have a treat on occasion. I’m going to be smarter about it though, and as you will find, a treat can easily become a viable meal, when you wisely choose ingredients. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal are a nutritious base for these breakfast cookies, a natural zero calorie sweetener lowers calories and sugar load, and Smart Balance Blended Butter & milk are heart healthier without sacrificing flavor.
Smart Balance products have no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils nor trans fat. They contain a specially designed blend of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats, ideal for helping to improve the ratio of good HDL cholesterol to bad LDL cholesterol. They also contain omega-3s and other vitamins. By blending butter with heart healthier fats, we get the great flavor of butter with far less saturated fat. In addition to butter sticks and spreads, Smart Balance also offers products like milk, peanut butter and mayo.
These breakfast cookies are sort of halfway between a cookie and a small muffin top. They are quite tender on the inside and filling for their size. Over the past week, I would eat one to supplement a salad which wasn’t quite enough to satisfy me, or eat 2-3 with my coffee for a filling breakfast. I enjoyed this version, but will mix it up a bit next time i make them, for variety.
- Serves: 18
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 89
- Fat: 4
- Saturated fat: 1
- Unsaturated fat: 2
- Trans fat:
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 100
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 3
- ¼ cup Smart Balance® Blended Butter Sticks
- ⅔ cup zero or reduced calorie natural sugar substitute*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tso ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup Smart Balance® Fat Free Milk with Omega-3
- 2¼ cups quick oats
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix Smart Balance® Blended Butter and sweetener together. Add cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking soda, egg whites & milk, and beat well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop 2 tbs size dollops of batter onto parchment lined baking sheets. Try to shape uniformly, as they will hold shape during baking.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until edges are starting to show a little golden brown color.
- Cool before serving