Looking for something a little different and need a gluten-free dessert for your next Halloween get-together, try these orange Smarties Meringue Cookies. They are also dairy and nut free too. It is especially important to provide a gluten-free dessert alternative during holiday parties, so many people (including children) are required to follow a gluten free diet, these days.
Smarties are Gluten-free, and meringues are one of the few standard cookie recipes, which are also gluten-free. It seemed a logical combination.
- 2 room temperature egg whites
- 1/16 tsp of cream of tartar
- 7 tbs powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- food coloring (approx. 15 drops yellow, 4 drops red)
- 5 rolls of Tropical Smarties
- Preheat oven to 200°
- Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar together (high speed), until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar, one tbs. at a time, while continuing to beat.
- Add salt, extract and food coloring. Beat until well combined.
- Unwrap and lightly crush the Smarties, leave some chunks. Fold the Smarties into the meringue batter.
- Drop the batter in approx. ¾ to 1″ wide dollops, onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 3 hours.
- Once the Meringues have cooled they will come right off the parchment paper.