I made this Roasted Delicata Squash, Golden Beet, Carrot & Poblano Red Quinoa with Quick Turmeric Lemon Dressing as a late lunch this afternoon. It turned out to be a satisfying vegetarian (vegan) meal, so I decided to share the recipe.
I guess I’d sort of classify this as vegan comfort food. Delicata squash, golden beets and carrots are all sweet hearty vegetables, and the addition of red quinoa an healthy fat laden walnuts make it a filling dish. The slight bitterness and mild heat of the poblano peppers make a good contrast against the richer ingredients (I was in luck, that some were still available in my garden this late in the season). A tangy Turmeric Lemon dressing adds a bit of acid and brightness to the finished plate. For me anyway, the whole thing balance out quite well.
Roasted Delicata Squash, Golden Beet, Carrot & Poblano Red Quinoa:Preparation
Here is a quick visual walk through of the preparation of this seasonal dish. Full recipe below.
The vegetables are simply cut up and deseeded before being tossed in olive oil and seasoning, then popped in the oven to roast. There is no need to peel the delicata squash; the skin will be tender once roasted.
A small batch of a quick four ingredient Turmeric Lemon dressing is shaken up.
The about half dressing is drizzled over the platter when served. Reserve the rest to use if needed.
- 2 small delicata squash
- 1 medium golden beet
- 2-3 large carrots
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp sage
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 oz. walnuts, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- juice of one fresh lemon
- 1½ tsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the Delicata squash into ⅓rd to ½ inch sliced, and deseed. Peel and slice the golden beets and carrots into bite sized pieces. Deseed and chop the poblano peppers, then toss with olive oil, cardamom, sea salt and sage.
- Spread the coated vegetables out onto a large sheet pan and roast for 15 minutes. Turned the vegetables over and roast another 5 minutes. At that point remove any vegetables that are in danger of overcooking and set aside. Roast the rest for 7-8 more minutes.
- Serve over the Toasted Walnut-Garlic Red Quinoa and drizzled the Turmeric Lemon Dressing over the plate.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add the quinoa and walnuts, toss for a couple minutes, then add the garlic. Once garlic is mostly cooked, add the stock, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Pour the four ingredients into a covered bottle and shake well.