This post brought to you by Sargento Foods, Inc.. All opinions are 100% mine.
There is something about a hearty cold sandwich made with wholesome quality ingredients that satisfies in a special way, that nothing else can. A complete meal, that can be held in your hands and toted pretty much anywhere, without sacrificing any culinary pleasure. That is the sort of foodie warm and fuzzies I had after eating this little beauty.
This flavor packed gourmet sandwich only takes a few minutes to assemble. The pesto chicken can be easily made the evening before. Toss a couple red peppers in a dish while baking the chicken, for fresh roasted peppers (far, far better than jarred). Enjoy some of the chicken for dinner, just save some along with a few tablespoons of sauce for the sandwiches. Along with a couple slices of natural Sargento swiss cheese, lettuce & dijon, between two hearty slices of whole wheat, and enjoy.
Now, as I’ve shared before, Lil’ Foodie is exceedingly fussy, has many issue with texture and generally does not like things combined, so the Pesto Chicken, Roasted Pepper & Swiss sandwich I loved, would not fly with this child. I created this “deconstructed sandwich” for her, which is really more akin to a collection of snacks than a sandwich. It is made with flat bread crackers, Sargento Reduced Fat Cheddar and turkey pepperoni. She ate up everything, just leaving her carton of milk untouched.
My lunch may not be quite as colorful and varied as my daughter’s, but the sandwich tastefully covers all the food groups, with wholesome natural ingredients.
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- ½ lb Pesto Chicken*, sliced (recipe: http://blommi.com/baked-chicken-pesto-recipe/)
- 1 tbs pesto
- 1 roasted red pepper** ( how to roast peppers: http://blommi.com/how-to-roast-a-pepper/
- 1 tbs whole grain Dijon mustard
- 3-4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 slices of Sargento Swiss cheese (regular or reduced fat)
- Spread ½ tbs of pesto on two slices of whole wheat.
- Top with romaine, then half of sliced pesto chicken for each sandwich.
- Place roasted peppers over chicken and top off with 2 slices of Sargento Swiss cheese.
- Spread a ½ tbs of Dijon on the top slice of wheat, and cut to serve.
- Serve with pickles, and/or chips.
**roast pepper/s in oven while chicken is baking, if you chose to grill chicken, the peppers can easily be roasted on grill as well. If you opt to pan fry, use prepared or quality jarred peppers.