This overnight breakfast casserole recipe features sausage and lots of delicious nutrient rich vegetables. The casserole is perfect for a breakfast with friends and family. Simply pop it in the oven that morning and get the coffee brewing. What a great way for everyone to start the day!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole (preparation)
As you will see, this breakfast casserole recipe is mostly an easy stacking process. (full recipe below)
Sweet potatoes are the first layer in the casserole dish. Browned sausage then goes over that. Roasted tomatoes are arranged over the sausage.
Avocado goes over the roasted tomatoes. Bread cubes cover the avocado. Finally, beaten eggs mixed with cheese are poured over the top. The casserole is then left in refrigerator overnight before baking.
- 8 eggs*
- 4 thick slices bread, cubed
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb ground sausage*
- 1 avocado
- 6 roasted tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- Brown the sausage in a frying pan, moving around occasionally. Chop up the potatoes and bread, and shred the cheese while browning.
- Cover the bottom of your casserole dish with sweet potato cubes, ensuring you leave no large gaps.
- Evenly spread the browned sausage over top of the sweet potatoes.
- Place the roasted tomatoes on top of the sausage meat, and crush with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Depending on the consistency of your avocado, either add cubes or dollops of the avocado over the tomato layer. Cover the avocado completely with bread cubes.
- Combine the eggs and cheese. Pour over top of the whole casserole. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, bake at 350F for 1½ hours, uncovered, until the eggs are fully set.