Want a moist Banana Bundt Cake sour cream is the secret! Of course bananas hold some nice moisture themselves, and the brown butter used in the bundt cake recipe adds both flavor and enhances a moist texture, but sour cream ensures it.
Moist Banana Bundt Cake: Sour Cream
Sour cream is used in this banana bundt cake both to ensure moisture and to create a dense yet tender crumb. Both the richness of the sour cream and it’s acidity improve the results in many cakes over using milk.
While I say the moistness of the banana bundt cake recipe comes from the sour cream it is not the only secret utilized in this cake.
Brown Butter in the Banana Bundt Cake
This moist banana bundt cake has an added subtle nutty toasted flavor thanks to using browned butter rather than just simple softened butter. Browning the butter adds flavor but also reduces the moisture in the butter, that is not a concern in this recipe as the bananas and sour cream provide more than ample moisture.
- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup of sugar
- heaping 1 /4 tsp of sea salt
- 2¼ cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2¼ cups confectionery sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 3 tbs orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan.
- Place small skillet over medium heat. Add butter. Melt and allow to brown, stirring frequently. Butter should be lightly browned, not burnt. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and vanilla together, then mix in the browned butter, bananas, sour cream sugar and sea salt.
- I another bowl mix the baking powder into the flour, then add to wet mixture. Stir well until batter is smooth.
- Scoop batter into bundt pan and smooth out. Bake for approximately 50 min. until inserted pick pulls clean.
- Cool for about 5 -10 min, then flip onto a cooling rack. Once fully cool mix icing and spread over the top of bundt cake.