The holidays are all about being with family, but when visiting family means a long car ride, kids have a way of becoming rather to put it gently, naughty. Avoid your young ones getting coal in their stockings, with a bit of preparation. Children are “set-off” by boredom and discomfort, so whatever we can do to alleviate these before they become an issue, will make for a happier trip for everyone.
- Whatever electronic gadgetry you can bring along that will occupy them, bring it. DVDs, music and games occupy them at home, they are your best weapon against boredom.
- Discuss their favorite topic. Power Rangers, teen divas and video games might not be what you want to hear about, but it is better than incessant whining. Take one for the team and feign a little extra interest.
- Old fashioned road games. When all else fails, the tried and true classic road games might just get you over the hump.
- Make a pit stop. Your parent radar, usually lets you know when the kids are just about to break into full blown whine mode. Make a pit stop before it breaks out. It’s harder to get an overly frustrated kid back into a civil mood, than it is to keep them that way.
- Ask older kids to help navigate. Keeps them occupied and makes them feel grown-up.
- Bring snacks and chilled beverages. I’m crabby when I’m hungry and thirsty, never mind kids.
- Layers of clothing. Inevitably, one kids will be cold when the other is hanging his head out the window panting like an over heated canine. Plan ahead and bring layers of clothing along to adjust to whatever situation you face along the road.
- Speaking of clothes. Comfort over fashion is the way to dress for road trips.
These are just a few road trip tips to help keep your kids on track and preserve your sanity. What are your tricks for keeping road trips pleasant?
Content and/or other value provided by our partner, Kia Motors