This easy Caramel Apple Hand Pie Recipe can be prepared in just 20 minutes, from start to finish. The mini apple pies are perfect for an after dinner dessert, but pack in lunches or picnics just as easily. Enjoy one with a cup of coffee or tea anytime for a burst of fall festivity.
Here is a quick visual walk through of the process of preparing this easy fall dessert. Full recipe below.
Preheat oven. Toss sliced peeled apples in seasoning, and lay out 4″ pie pastry rounds on parchment lined baking sheet.
Position each apple slice to one side, them spoon on caramel.
Fold over crust, crimp and baste with beaten egg, then sprinkle sugar crystals on.
If you want to double up on your caramel apple fix, serve these little pies ala mode with Caramel Apple No Churn Ice Cream!
- 1 large apple, Granny Smith or Gala preferred
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- generous pinch of allspice (approx. 1/16th tsp)
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (or prepared homemade pie dough)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sugar crystals to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Peel and core apple. Then cut into 8 wedges.
- Toss the apple slices in lemon juice to coat.
- Add sugar, salt and spices to the apples, and mix until coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll pie crust on a lightly floured surface, and cut out eight 4" rounds.
- Arrange the dough rounds on the parchment. and put an apple slice on each slightly to one side. Top apple with a tsp of caramel sauce.
- Fold over the dough and crimp edges to seal.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle sugar crystals on top.
- Brush the tops of each mini-pie with egg and sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- Optional: Drizzle extra caramel sauce on top of each hand pie before serving.