The tender simplicity of shortbread cookies make them a favorite of mine. They are not overly sweet and take on a wide variety of flavors with ease. This is my version of chocolate shortbread cookies. The dough is flavored with cocoa powder and then chocolate chips kick the chocolately goodness up a notch.
Double Chocolate Shortbread Cookies Recipe: Perfect for Busy Bakers
This chocolate shortbread cookies recipe is a great choice when you have some time to prepare, but will have many cookies to bake off in one day. The dough can be made ahead of time and left in the refrigerator until you are ready to slice and bake. I baked mine almost a week after making the dough. Shortbread cookies also maintain their size and shape, so minimal space is needed between the cookies on the baking sheet.
I must say, these Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with chocolate chips were a big hit with my daughter. She gobbled up the cookies and milk in this picture as soon as she got home from school.
I hope you enjoy the recipe.
- ½ cup of butter, softened (1 stick)
- ½ cup of confectionery sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbs milk
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour (all-purpose is fine)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar.
- In a small separate bowl mix salt with the milk and vanilla extract to dissolve. then add to the creamed butter.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and flour, then mix in with the wetter ingredients bowl. Once the dough is well mixed, toss in the chocolate chips.
- Knead the dough lightly, enough to evenly distribute the chocolate chips, then split in half and roll into two logs about 2 inches thick. Wrap each log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut each cookie dough log into slices about ⅜"-1/2" thick. Arrange on parchment. These shortbread cookies will not expand much at all, but leave a little space between them.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, then remove to rack to cool.