This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe was inspired by the cover of this month’s Cooking Light magazine, which features a beautiful Banana Bread with Chocolate Glaze. I did not have several of the ingredients for that banana bread on hand, but after seeing it, I had to have a chocolate & banana bread combo… I had to.
As you can see my concoction has little in common with the original that inspired it, other than both are banana breads which incorporate chocolate. If you don’t have some of the ingredients for my version, by all means check out theirs. It is part of their 25 All Time Favorite Recipes feature this month, so it must be pretty dang good.
So why did I decide to load this banana bread up with chocolate chips, rather than top it with that lovely decadent chocolate glaze? Because, I can always slather a slice with the Nutella I have in my pantry, and go double chocolate crazy at any moment if I want to. So, I guess the true underlying reason would be that my devious mind was overtaken by pure chocolate greed…lol.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 3-4 ripe bananas mashed (1½ – 1⅔ cups)
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- cooking spray or shortening (to coat pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugars together.
- Add the bananas, buttermilk, salt, vanilla and egg whites & beat until smooth.
- Place flours in a separate bowl and mix in the baking soda, then add the dry mix to wet. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into greased or coated and floured loaf baking dish.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center pulls clean. (9×5 loaf pan: about 1 hour 10 min, 8X4.5 loaf pan about 1 hour 25 min)