This chicken sausage bruschetta recipe, was created while I was trying out Hillshire Farm Gourmet Creations sausages. These premium, but reasonably priced sausages come in several varieties. For this recipe, I selected the Chicken Apple with Gouda Cheese variety. It seemed such a great choice for a fall recipe, especially since it has apple in it, one of the iconic flavors of autumn.
The Chicken Apple with Gouda Cheese sausages had a savory, yet slightly sweet taste, so I added a bit of smokiness through both heat (habanero) and smoked flavor (Gouda), the cooking process adds to the subtle smokey flavor too. I also added some salt & tang with the capers and vinegar. Cooking subdues these flavors considerably, but I think they certainly added to the dish.
Great as an appetizer, or serve with a simple salad for lunch or dinner.
Chicken Sausage, Onion & Gouda Bruschetta Recipe
1 package of Gourmet Creations Chicken Apple with Gouda Cheese sausages from Hillshire Farm
1 tbs of butter, spread or olive oil, plus more for basting bread
1 sweet onion quartered and sliced
1/2 an orange habanero pepper minced
2 tbs. capers (diced green olive can be substituted)
1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
crusty bread, such as a French
3-4 slices of smoked Gouda cheese
- Put the butter/oil in a saute pan over med-high heat.
- Slice the Gourmet Creations sausages into 1/4″ wide slices.
- Add the onions to the hot pan, saute until they just start to carmelize around the edges, then add sausages and habanero. Stir frequently.
- Once sausage has started to brown, add capers. Saute for about a minute, then add brown sugar and vinegar. Stir. This will loosen all those yummy browned bits from the pan.
- Once the smell of the vinegar cooking off has dissipated, take the pan off burner.
- Baste some hearty slices of crusty bread with butter or oil, and broil until golden and crispy.
- Top the bread with the sausage saute. Then top with smoked Gouda, if the cheese doesn’t readily melt, pop it in the broiler for a few seconds.
I really enjoyed the results of this recipe, and will be purchasing the Chicken Apple with Gouda Cheese sausages again soon. I had a few other recipe ideas in mind, that I want to try.
Hillshire Farm Gourmet Creations Sausages are available at Walmart stores. Check out my shopping trip to pick them up.
This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias. All opinions and original recipe presented here are my own.