Yes, I am still on a health kick, and with delicious meals like this Chicken, Asparagus,Sun-dried Tomato and Wheat Berries Recipe, I don’t see reason to change that any time soon. Having precooked wheat berries on-hand makes preparation a breeze. I used hard red spring wheat berries in this and the nutritional totals are based on that strain, but numbers should be close, with other types. Those that are gluten intolerant, can simply substitute quinoa or brown rice for the wheat in this recipe, although many with gluten issues can eat some strains of wheat berries without issue (kamut is one).
This recipe can be served hot or cold. I prefer it cold myself.
If you are trying to integrate more whole grains into your diet, like I am, check out these web exclusive healthy whole grain recipes from Cooking Light especially the Golden Beet Salad with Wheat Berries.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: ¼ of dish
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 4
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 21
- ½ a large sweet onion (chopped)
- ½ tbs. olive oil
- generous pinch of thyme
- asparagus bunch (entirety of tough ends removed)
- clove of garlic (crushed minced)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes (air, not oil packed)
- 8 oz. chicken breast
- 1½ cups wheat berries (precooked in chicken broth)
- kosher salt and/or salt-free blend
- Saute the onions and thyme in oil over med-high heat.
- Cut asparagus on the diagonal into bite size pieces. Add the asparagus & garlic to the pan and stir.
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes into thin strips, and add to the pan. Stir.
- Thinly slice the chicken breast, and add it to pan as well. Saute until the chicken is just about cooked, then add wheat berries.
- Cook for about another minute, season with salt and/or salt-free blend to taste.