Canning apple pie filling can save you a great deal of time in the future, and save you a good deal of money when making fresh homemade apple pies. When canning apple pie filling yourself at home, it is best to do it in the late summer or early fall when apple prices are low. Making the filling in large batches allows you to take advantage of bulk produce pricing & the home canned apple pie filling makes wonderful hostess gifts.
The canning recipe makes enough for one apple pie, multiply for as many as you wish to make.
Canning Apple Pie Filling
Add apples and par cook, before placing in sterilized jars. Then cap and simmer in hot water bath, to ensure safe storage.
- 5-6 Medium Apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 cups Water
- Toss the sliced apples with the lemon juice in a large bowl (this will keep them from browning) Set aside.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water briskly, avoiding lumps.
- Add the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt, mix well and bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a hard boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add the apples and bring back to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Place in sterilized jar immediately and seal.
- Simmer the jars fully submerged in a hot water bath for 20-25 minutes to ensure food safety .
- Remove with jar tongs and allow to cool. The cap should be indented to show airtight seal has been made.