After being so very very good for the first few months of the year, sloth and snacking over the past few have cause me to “rediscover” a few pounds. Thus, I’m currently working on getting them back off and hopefully a few more along with them. This Tomato-Caper Chicken and Cauliflower “Rice” Packets recipe is low calorie, low carb and gluten-free.
Since I am not fond of a lot of clean-up, and the dog days of summer are quickly approaching, I thought a recipe for the grill would be nice. I didn’t feel like the standard grill fare today though, and this chicken and cauliflower dish in a tangy flavorful brothy sauce made for a very satisfying lunch (the backup pouch I made was just dinner…lol). I have only just recently started ricing cauliflower, to occasionally use in place of starch in meals & am surprised at how much I like it, well when teamed with a tasty sauce anyway. This stew-like chicken and vegetable recipe cooked in foil packets is going to be making several appearances at my dinner table this summer. That is for certain.
- Serves: 1
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 10
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 28
- 1 cup cauliflower (
- 4 oz. sliced chicken breast (substitute fish or shrimp if you prefer)
- ½ cup chopped tomato
- ½ tsp minced garlic (about ½ a clove)
- 1 tbs. caper berries
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh lemon thyme (standard thyme or a few chopped fresh basil leaves would be a good stand-in)
- 1 tbs. butter or spread
- 1 wedge of lemon
- Preheat grill (or oven - 400 degrees).
- Fold sides of foil to hold in juices. (see video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y14auMQXZRM)
- Spread cauliflower in bottom of foil packet and top with chicken.
- Mix the tomato & garlic together, then spread over the chicken.
- Top with capers, herbs and butter.
- Squeeze the wedge of lemon over the packet contents, then place on top.
- Wrap the packet up to seal in juices, but don't wrap tight to food, leave a little room for steam inside.
- Place on grill (and reduce heat to medium) or put on
bakingsheet and bake in oven. The packets will take about 20-25 minutes to fully cook.
- While dish could be eaten out of the packet, a shallow bowl is ideal.