I have been experimenting with different whole grains a lot lately, especially quinoa recipes. This Black Bean and Quinoa Soup recipe is one of the more successful of results. The texture of the soup is somewhat thick (stew may have been a more appropriate title), so it is filling. This bean and quinoa soup is very high in protein and fiber. It also provides a good deal of iron and lycopene, from the addition of spinach and tomatoes. It doesn’t get much healthier than this easy inexpensive soup.
- 1 lb. black beans. (pre-soaked and rinsed)
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed/minced)
- ¾ cup carrot (small diced) approx.1 extra large carrot
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 9 cups (2 qts. plus a cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
- spinach (1 can, or an 8 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach)
- Rinse and soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse again. Set aside.
- Put oil in large stock pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Once hot add carrots and garlic, saute, until garlic is cooked through.
- Add the quinoa, stir and cook another minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the spinach. Cover and simmer.
- After 2 hours, add spinach, and continue to cook until beans are soft.
Be sure to check out the rest of my quinoa recipes while you are here. I make it rather often