Key Lime Pie is such a classic summer dessert, and one we should all have in our recipe box. This version of the pie is authentic, in that it follows the basic model of the Key Lime Pie first served at the Curry mansion, by an “Aunt Sally”. Some will argue that meringue is more fitting or use a different crust, but this is how it was served. Mind you this is not the recipe discussed in the article, but does seem to fit all the criteria.
How to Make Key Lime Pie
It is easy to make an authentic Key Lime Pie. I will guide you through the basics of the recipe visually, then the full recipe is found below.
Crush graham crackers and mix with melted butter and sugar.
Pat the crust mixture into a pie dish, taking care to go up the sides.
Zest limes. While key limes are ideal, they are hard to find, and we may need to make due with what is available.
Whip the zest with egg yolks.
Add sweetened condensed milk and beat until thickened, then add lime juice.
Pour the filling until crust and bake for 10 minutes. Once cool, top with whipped cream.
- ⅓ lb crushed Graham Crackers
- 5 tbsp melted Butter
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 tsp Lime Zest
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ⅔ cup Lime Juice
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 9" pie pan.
- Process graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in food processor until combined.
- Press mixture into bottom and sides of prepared pan.
- Bake 8 minutes or until set.
- Set aside to cool.
- Whip egg yolks and lime zest until fluffy.
- Slowly add in condensed milk while continuing to beat.
- Beat until thick and fully incorporated.
- Add lime juice and beat at low speed just until combined.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until filling sets.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Freeze for 15 minutes before serving.
- Whip cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream before serving.